- Notes for the GM
- The Legacy
“I take care of this baby bird. It’s going to hatch into something amazing someday, so I look after it until then. Keeping an eye on it taught me to look after anyone or anything else that needs it.”
When did you officially become a part of your legacy?
The dreams led Finn to the mountains behind his family home. He found a crater where a meteor had fallen, and a gemstone at the center of it. He could feel something alive in it, so he took it home and did his best to make it feel comfortable.
A week later, the alien descended from the sky in a fiery blaze. The gem held a cosmic creature known as a Starhawk, they explained. Normally a Starhawk would take up residence in a star, hatch, then emerge and bond with someone. This one had been knocked off course.
The alien tried to take the gem. The gem didn’t want to go.
“I guess you’re one of us then,” the alien had said to Finn. Then they took off. And Finn left the family home, to travel to Halcyon City and make sense of it all.
What’s the greatest achievement of your legacy?
On Earth, Starhawks intervened to stop an alien invasion. More than just their raw power turned the tide; their knowledge of galactic science helped Halcyon City inventors devise counter-measures, ushering in a new age of technology once the danger had passed.
How does the public perceive your legacy?
The Starhawks have been around for thousands of years, and have intervened on many planets. Their deeds are uncountable. At the same time, they’re not an organized group and have no central leadership. Any planet you visit will know something about a Starhawk, always memorable but not always good.
How does your legacy tie into your reasons for being a hero?
Finn’s goal is just to take care of his little unhatched Starhawk. He’s not sure if it’s supposed to be in an actual star or not, and has trouble communicating with it beyond dreams and impulses. To him, the powers it grants are just a way to look after it, and to do some good along the way.
Why do you care about the team?
The rest of this team feels like it kinda needs some support too, honestly.
Notes for the GM
- What’s Finn’s core Condition? He’ll probably mark Insecure or Hopeless often, because he’s taking on a lot of responsibility.
- How do I relate to the Starhawk legacy as a comic book fan?
- Watch “The Dragon Prince” and “The Mandalorian”.
- They’re the Green Lantern Corps if the Lanterns were Old West sheriffs or cowboys instead of Space Cops
- There’s a resemblance to the Phoenix Force, but it’s not that powerful and won’t drive the wielder bananas
- How soon should the egg hatch? It should probably be an early milestone, with Finn’s responsibilities now expanded to keeping an eye on a chick that can wander off or get into trouble.
- How do I keep the Legacy relevant?
- Make Finn responsible for the actions of the last Starhawk who rolled into town, caused a ruckus while fixing a problem, and bailed.
- Have another Starhawk show up and criticize or mock him.
- Kick off a romance or rivalry plot with an alien who has ties to the Starhawks.
- Have the chick (or another starbird) reveal some portentous cosmic truth through dreams or prophecy
- Have someone try to steal the gemstone
- How do players answer the time-passes move questions?
- The traditions of the Starhawk legacy are: use restraint, inspire respect, solve your own problems
- The image of the legacy is: space gunslingers who save the farm from the robber barons
- What makes legacy members proud: giving a memorable, worthwhile experience to your partner, and using its gift of power well
Hero Name: Starhawk (“the Starhawk of Sol”)
Real Name: Finn Lund
Look: man, mixed (Irish/German/Pakistani), comfortable clothing, traditional costume, animal insignia (the Starhawk symbol)
Abilities: Super strength, invincibility, flight
Labels: Danger -1, Freak +0, Savior +2, Superior +0, Mundane +2
When our team first came together: All things considered, we did well and impressed an established hero. Who was it?
- You once got caught doing something that shames your legacy with TBD.
- You trust TBD and told them an important secret of your legacy.
Influence: You’re a part of this team, for better or worse, and you care what they think. Give Influence to all of your teammates
- Fight the good fight (Finn isn’t real big on wiping out enemies)
- I know what I am (Finn has become pretty protective in his time as a Starhawk)
The Starhawk Legacy
Your legacy is an important part of Halcyon City. Name the different members of your legacy (at least two):
- Blaze Nova (the Starhawk of Arcturus) is still active and prominent in the galaxy
- Stellar Shroud (the Starhawk of Procyon) is retired and quite judgemental