You're a group of adventurers who died in a dungeon. Now you're the ghosts who haunt it.
A new adventurer has entered the dungeon to defeat the monsters and claim the loot. Too bad they have no idea what they're doing.
- One player is "the Adventurer". All other players are "the Ghosts". Decide whether the Adventurer even realizes the Ghosts are present, and if so how.
- The Adventurer has three scores: HP (how strong and sturdy they are), Confidence (how ready they feel for the dungeon), and Loot (how much stuff they've acquired so far).
- HP and Confidence start at 4. Loot starts at 2. Stats cannot go above 8. If a stat would fall below 1, the game ends: the adventurer is wounded and retreats (HP), the adventurer's gear is lost (Loot), and the adventurer gives up and retires to become a farmer (Confidence).
- The game is played by the group narrating a series of events. During each event, the Adventurer, the Ghosts, and the events themselves, all want to enact their agendas.
- There are two types of events: random encounters and bosses. If any Ghost declares "I'm running a boss", proceed to that event. Otherwise, generate a random encounter.
- To generate a random encounter, one or more Ghosts roll 2d6 (one die tens place, the other ones place) and look at the table below. They then offer a choice of routes to the Adventurer. They can say anything or nothing about what the route has in store, but must honestly reveal the result once the Adventurer chooses a route.
- Don't play through more than (6 minus the number of total players) random encounters without a boss encounter.
- To generate a boss encounter, the Ghost announces the agenda for the boss in terms of stat gains or losses.
- To resolve an event, allocate numbers 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8, 9-10, and 11-12 to the event itself, and then the Adventurer (if they dislike the event's agenda for some reason), and any Ghosts who prefer a different outcome. Not every player must have an agenda for every event.
- If only the event has an agenda, it comes to pass. Otherwise, the Adventurer rolls a d4, d6, d8, d10, or d12, depending on how many agendas must be accommodated. Whichever agenda had the range the roll falls into gets enacted - the event happens, the Adventurer prevails, or the Ghosts use their powers to get their way.
- The "Make Camp" event is special. Rather than rolling, one player tells a story about a previous adventure in a dungeon.
- To enact an agenda, modify the Adventurer's stats up or down by 1 as appropriate. For example, "+HP +Confidence" means raise HP and Confidence by 1.
- The game ends successfully when every Ghost has run a boss encounter. Otherwise, move on to generating and resolving the next event.
- Stay alive (+HP)
- Get rich (+Loot)
- Feel good (+Confidence)
- Get the goods out of here/spite the dungeon denizens (+Loot)
- Why should this dork get anything? (-Loot)
- Encourage the adventurer (+Confidence)
- Prank the poor schmuck (-Confidence)
- Keep a fellow adventurer alive (+HP)
- Drive them away from here (-HP)
11: Holy Spring (+HP)
12: Make Camp!
13: Goddess Statue (+HP +Loot)
14: Goblin Potion Seller (+HP -Loot)
15: Blessed by Priest (+HP +Confidence)
16: Dwarf Bread (+HP -Confidence)
21: Make Camp!
22: Poison Cloud (-HP)
23: Trapped Chest (-HP +Loot)
24: Rust Monster (-HP -Loot)
25: Narrow Escape (-HP +Confidence)
26: Spoiled Rations (-HP -Confidence)
31: Gem-Studded Armor (+Loot +HP)
32: Theft Gone Wrong (+Loot -HP)
33: Treasure Chest (+Loot)
34: Make Camp!
35: Gemstone Cache (+Loot +Confidence)
36: Troll Swallowed the Gold (+Loot -Confidence)
41: Mugged by Fairies (-Loot +HP)
42: Mugged by Bugbears (-Loot -HP)
43: Make Camp!
44: Toll Bridge (-Loot)
45: Gnome Beggar (-Loot +Confidence)
46: Lost Backpack (-Loot -Confidence)
51: Good Campsite (+Confidence +HP)
52: Harrowing battle (+Confidence -HP)
53: Rescued Dwarf (+Confidence +Loot)
54: Rescued Kender (+Confidence -Loot)
55: Weak Kobolds (+Confidence)
56: Make Camp!
61: Hide From Patrols (-Confidence +HP)
62: Obvious Trap (-Confidence -HP)
63: Lootable Corpse (-Confidence +Loot)
64: Ogre Bully (-Confidence -Loot)
65: Make Camp!
66: Maze of Dead Ends (-Confidence)