- Legacy Name: Nightblade
- Real Name: Lincoln “L.A.” Abe
- Look: Asian-American man; untrusting eyes; rebellious clothing; black costume
- Abilities: Photokinesis; Light-based metabolism
- Labels: Danger +0; Freak +1; Savior -1; Superior +2; Mundane +1
- Who are you? I’m Nightblade, a ninja with powers over light and darkness. Okay, I’m not officially a ninja, but I can fight and vanish like one.
- How did you get your powers? I think I’m a mutation or something like that. I can absorb and re-emit light from my body. I’ve been able to do this sort of thing since I was 12 or so. I also study chemistry, like Anarchist’s Cookbook chemistry, not that food coloring at school lab stuff.
- What do you do for fun? I watch old martial arts movies - Shaw Brothers, Wu-Tang, all that stuff. I read a lot of different stuff, like mythology or fantasy stories. It sounds weird, but fiction often gives us a better moral compass than real people’s self-serving advice, because in fiction you can afford to make hard choices. Every so often I re-read the Ring of Gyges and watch The Invisible Man. I gotta stay honest about myself too.
- Who, outside the team, thinks better of you than you do? My best friend Tank, who knows my secret identity. He calls me “Obi-Wan Shinobi” because he says I spout wise bullshit. I’m just telling him stuff I read, it’s nothing I think up.
- Why do you try to be a hero? Because it’s so damn frustrating to see people say one thing and do another. The ninja of Japan weren’t the samurai. They weren’t honorable, they just got things done. They went by another name, too: “shinobi”, those who endure. Truth is hard. Being true to the truth is harder.
Mary Contrary: When someone tries to pierce your mask, comfort or support you, or provoke you, you can interfere. Roll + Superior. On a hit, they take a -2 on their roll. On a 10+, you also take Influence over them or clear a condition. On a miss, they get a 10+ no matter what they rolled and you mark a condition of their choice.
Criminal mind: When you assess the situation, you can always ask one of the following questions, even on a miss:
- what here is useful or valuable to me?
- how could I best infuriate or provoke ____________?
- what’s the best way in/way past?
Are you watching closely?: When you mislead, distract, or trick someone, roll + Superior. On a hit, they are fooled, at least for a moment. On a 10+, choose three. On a 7-9, choose two.
- you get an opportunity
- you expose a weakness or flaw
- you confuse them for some time
- you avoid further entanglement
On a miss, you’re hopelessly embroiled in it and under pressure; mark a condition.
Nightblade’s body can subsist on light itself, like a plant. Exposure to lots of light can enhance his body or speed up his healing rate. In addition, he has the following actual or potential powers:
- Creation of holographic images, including disguises
- Pulsed laser weapons - a cutting melee beam or a brief thrown pulse of energy, like a kunai.
- Remote viewing, by pulling light from other areas closer to my eyes
- Creation of zones of darkness, or disorienting flashes of bright light
- Duplication of retinal patterns and manipulation of other sorts of light-based sensors